Thursday, August 10, 2006

Turning Shit Into Solid Gold . . .

I've been on this big nostalgia kick recently. Part of it is that I've been so unenamored with music these days (other than a select few, like, oh, Young Love, but we'll get to that later) and that I've still got a lot of love for bands that were actually good and were ones that I really dug back in the day. One of those bands was Cowboy Mouth, a one-hit wonder with their track "Jenny Says", which is REALLY, REALLY good. It's a very simple song with bluegrass undertones to it. There's a live version out there (that I couldn't find, but it's at a festival, and it's just amazing) that absolutely blows the studio version out of the water. This New Orleans-based band's album "Are You With Me?" was really better than you'd think, and it's something to check out.



Audio: Cowboy Mouth - Jenny Says
MySpace | Official

On another note, then there's bands like Jimmie's Chicken Shack, who back in the day, had songs like "What Do I Do (Right)" and "Lazy Boy Dash", both of which I dug. "What Do I Do (Right)" is a pretty fun song, but "Lazy Boy Dash" should have been a top 10 hit at the time of its release (not now, mind you, god no, not now), but it's all a bunch of fun. They've got a ska-tinged rock sound, and that's always gravy in my book.



Audio: Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Lazy Boy Dash
Audio: Jimmie's Chicken Shack - What Do I Do (Right)?

Have no fear, though
MySpace | Official

But fear not, loyal readers! I've got some of the new shit for you here as well!

One of these track is a cover by the band Nada Surf of the Beatles classic "All You Need Is Love" - I'll be honest - I'm a little disappointed that when I saw them in June that they didn't play this song. It's a gorgeous cover, but I expect nothing but that from a band that has had one of the oddest progressions in music. They were nerd rock... and now they're making songs like "Always Love" - which is as far from nerd rock as you can find. I think that's really cool, and this cover is absolutely one of the coolest that I've heard in quite some time. Hell, they even include the trumpets, and there's a very very faint hint of "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah" at the end.... killer.

Audio: Nada Surf - All You Need Is Love
Video (YouTube): Nada Surf - Always Love
MySpace | Official